Become a public practitioner

Becoming a public practitioner video

The benefits of working in public practice

  • A rewarding career offering job satisfaction
  • The challenge, interest and variety that working with a range of clients offers
  • Flexibility and independence: set your own direction, manage your own time and make your own decisions
  • Financial rewards: reap rewards from the time, skill and money that you invest in your clients and your business

What is public practice?

Public practitioners deal with a broad range of clients, from individual taxpayers to large businesses. They provide public accounting services that cover a wide range of financial, commercial and taxation activities, such as.
  • auditing and assurance services 
  • bookkeeping 
  • consumer and commercial credit services 
  • financial planning/advice 
  • financial reporting 
  • forensic accounting 
  • insolvency and corporate reconstruction 
  • management accounting
  • management consulting 
  • taxation
  • transaction accounting 
  • valuation services.

Your pathway into public practice

Once you’re a CPA or FCPA, the pathways to public practice are based on the provision of public accounting services and whether you need a Public Practice Certificate.

If you’re considering becoming a partner or business owner, this podcast may help you understand the process and benefits. Three CPAs in public practice provides insights into their pathways to partnership.

Do you need a Public Practice Certificate?

If you are a CPA or FCPA responsible for providing public accounting services in Australia or New Zealand you must hold a Public Practice Certificate (PPC), no matter where in the world you are located. 

This means that members who are partners, who are running their own business, or who are accountable for signing off on services will need one of the following:

  • A Public Practice Certificate: if you earn more than $45,000 gross fees per calendar year
  • A Limited Public Practice Certificate: if you earn between $10,000 and $45,000 gross fees per calendar year
  • No certificate: if you do not earn more than $10,000 gross fees each calendar year and you do not advertise or hold your services out to the public. However, you must hold professional indemnity insurance.

Your pathway into public practice

If you’re a CPA or FCPA, there are different pathways you can take into managing your own practice.