Note: Application best completed on a desktop computer.
The Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA) is a professional year program approved by the Department of Home Affairs, available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia.
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including a 12-week internship placement with a relevant host company
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: culture, ethics and expectations
- recognition as a pathway for 485 visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM).
Successful completion of SMIPA may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
SMIPA was developed by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants. It is delivered by registered providers who have been approved by all three professional accounting bodies.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in SMIPA or any other pathways to permanent residency approved by the Department of Home Affairs.
Does CPA Australia provide the SMIPA?
No. The SMIPA is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
Applications to deliver the SMIPA Program will be open in the latter half of 2018. All applicants must be either a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) or a Higher Education Provider (HEP) and have been registered for at least three years.
To express an interest in becoming an approved provider, email email@example.com with your company details, contact information and RTO or HEP registration number.
Approved SMIPA providers
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Accountants Resource Centre (ARC): Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA): Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Performance Education: Adelaide, Brisbane (commencing in April), Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane
Note: Neither the Professional Accounting Bodies nor SMIPA are associated in any way with the AIFA Professional Year Program for Bookkeepers.
Frequently asked questions