Study guide: Fourth Edition
The Contemporary Business Issues subject examines contemporary and emerging global issues in order to familiarise you with the business environment you are likely to be operating in as an accountant. It uses contemporary issues as a vehicle for advancing the development of professional skills, values, ethics and attitudes.
Contemporary Business Issues is designed to help you develop a future-focused perspective that:
- understands the drivers of change affecting business and the accounting profession
- responds positively to change
- values lifelong learning to continually develop and improve technical, business, behavioural and leadership skills
- recognises that accountants add value by providing strategic business advice and contributing to good decision making
- acknowledges the importance of ethics, professional curiosity and enquiry as a means of avoiding imprudent decision making
- welcomes divergent opinions and creative approaches to problem solving as a means of gaining insights into an increasingly complex and dynamic business world.
This subject will highlight the challenges and opportunities for the accounting profession in the contemporary business environment.
Contemporary Business Issues is an elective subject in the CPA program.
A new interactive Contemporary Business Issues ebook study guide is now available. The award-winning format developed by Wiley will provide you with integrated practitioner videos, animations, note-taking features and more. You will be able to access the new ebook from My Online Learning. A full colour printed study guide and PDFs are also available to enrolled candidates.
The CBI exam generally consists of 100 per cent multiple-choice questions.
On completion of this subject, you should be able to:
- encourage an attitude of professional curiosity by challenging assumptions about contemporary and emerging global issues that are affecting the business environment, and how they should be addressed
- critically evaluate current research and practice on the origins and effects of contemporary and emerging global issues
- judge the effects that disclosure requirements will have on financial and non-financial reporting and consider the overall impact that a shift towards non-financial, sustainability and integrated reporting will have on enterprises and accounting functions.
The ‘weighting’ column in the following table provides an indication of the emphasis placed on each module in the exam, while the ‘proportion of study time’ column is a guide for you to allocate your study time for each module.
||Recommended proportion of study time (%)
|1. Future accounting skills
|2. Contemporary innovation and technology
|3. Contemporary business models and financing
|4. Contemporary human resource management
|5. Future of natural resource management
|6. Contemporary stakeholder management
For further information, please see the subject outline (PDF).