Study options for New Zealand Taxation
Members in New Zealand may study a local taxation subject offered by Massey University and receive recognition of that study in the CPA Program.
CPA Australia and Massey University have a long-standing relationship that ensures they are expertly placed to deliver this local taxation solution for members in New Zealand.
The subject content will undergo regular review to ensure it meets CPA Australia's stringent expectations.
When to choose New Zealand Taxation
If you have not satisfied CPA Australia's tax competency requirement, you are advised in My CPA Program to complete taxation study,( Australia Taxation) as a requirement to become a CPA.
However, if you're based in New Zealand and intend to pursue a career in New Zealand, it may be more appropriate to complete local taxation study with Massey University.
What to expect
To complete this study with Massey University, you will be required to:
- Contact CPA Australia to obtain a letter, which you would then submit to Massey University.
- Enrol with Massey University.
- Follow instructions provided by the university, study using the resources provided, and sit an exam with the university.
- When you successfully complete the subject and receive an official statement of your exam result, submit this to CPA Australia for recognition as an elective unit of study in the CPA Program.
Please note, the taxation subject with Massey University is only available in Semester 1 each year. Visit Massey University for more information.
How to apply for recognition
- Log in to our website using your member ID or email address, along with your website password
- Within Menu, select ‘Become a CPA’ then the ‘Apply now’ option
- When page has loaded please select ‘Apply for update- Start’
- Move to Education, where you can search for and add the unit of study you completed with Massey University
- Move to 'Supporting Documents' and upload your results under the correct heading.
Once approved, when you log into My CPA Program you'll see that you have received an elective exemption.
You'll then only be required to complete one elective, in addition to the compulsory subjects, to satisfy the requirements of the CPA Program.
Historical year-end tax resources
Resources for tax agents preparing tax returns for Australian clients for financial years before 2020
Taxation Centre of Excellence
Providing our members with an opportunity to advise on key taxation policy issues
TPB review: What it means for tax practitioners
The final report of the Review of the TPB has many noteworthy recommendations but more consultation is needed on implementation.article
ATO steps up efforts to reclaim debt
If your clients have ATO debts, or have failed to lodge returns, it has a simple message – “get in touch”.article
ATO’s data matching ramps up and focuses on SME reporting
Here’s how to ensure your clients are correctly accounting for their income and use of assets.article
New Zealand’s Inland Revenue targets tax compliance burden
IRD seeks input from tax practitioners and professional bodies as part of its bid to improve service.article