Note: Application best completed on a desktop computer.
Accounting Professional Year Program
The Accounting Professional Year Program (Accounting PYP – formerly SMIPA) is approved by the Department of Home Affairs (formerly the Department of Immigration and Border Protection). It is available to overseas students who have an Australian accounting degree qualification as a result of at least two years' study in Australia.
Accounting PYP consists of:
- a minimum of 44 weeks' training, including 32 weeks classroom study and 12-weeks internship placement providing valuable work experience in an approved Australian workplace completing relevant accounting tasks
- professional development and practical hands-on learning, with an emphasis on workplace preparation: culture, ethics and expectations
- recognition as a pathway for 485 visa holders seeking permanent residency under general skilled migration (GSM).
Accounting PYP was developed by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants. It is delivered by registered providers who have been approved by the three professional accounting bodies.
Successful completion of the Accounting PYP may attract additional points under the GSM points test.
Enrolment in any of the accounting bodies’ professional programs is independent of an individual’s participation in Accounting PYP or any other Department of Home Affairs approved pathway to permanent residency.
Does CPA Australia provide the Accounting PYP?
No. Accounting PYP is overseen by the three professional accounting bodies. The program is delivered by registered providers who have been jointly approved by the three bodies.
To express an interest in becoming an approved provider, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your company details, contact information and RTO or HEP registration number.
Approved Accounting PYP
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic: Melbourne
- Accountants Resource Centre (ARC): Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC): Melbourne, Sydney
- Education Centre of Australia (ECA): Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney
- Monash Professional Pathways: Melbourne
- Navitas Professional: Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Performance Education: Adelaide, Brisbane (commencing in April), Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
- Stanley College: Perth
- The University of Queensland, Institute of Continuing & TESOL Education: (ICTE-UQ) Brisbane
Frequently asked questions