Study guide: third edition
This subject examines the strategic management accountant's role in dynamic organisations operating in the global business environment. In this role, the professional accountant engages with the organisation's management team and contributes to strategy development and implementation with the aim of creating customer and shareholder value, and a strong competitive position for the organisation. The subject highlights the management accounting tools and techniques of value chain analysis and project management which have become increasingly important in contemporary operational environments.
The subject includes discussions on the professional accountant's responsibilities and judgement as introduced in the Ethics and Governance subject. Investment evaluation and strategic business analysis in the context of assessing and responding to risk, as covered in the Financial Risk Management and Advanced Audit and Assurance subjects are also discussed. You are introduced to strategic management concepts which are expanded on in the Global Strategy and Leadership subject.
The Strategic Management Accounting exam comprises a combination of multiple-choice and extended-response questions.
On completion of this subject, you should be able to:
- apply the strategic management process and organisational and industry value analysis to understand value drivers, cost drivers and the reconfiguring of value chains
- explain the role of the management accountant as a trusted adviser and a business partner in supporting strategy development and the day-to-day operations of an organisation
- understand stakeholders' various decision-making needs and provide adaptive information solutions
- design an effective budgeting system that incorporates uncertainty to assist in strategy implementation
- discuss the role of project selection, planning, monitoring and completion in strategy implementation
- explain the role of performance measurement and control systems in value creation, strategy implementation and monitoring performance to improve strategies
- apply strategic management accounting tools and techniques to improve the contribution and sustainability of value-creating activities.
The weighting column in the following table provides an indication of the emphasis placed on each module in the exam. The proportion of study time is a guide for you to allocate your study time for each module.
|Module||Recommended proportion of study time (%)||Weighting (%)|
|1. Introduction to strategic management accounting||10||10|
|2. Information for decision-making||14||15|
|3. Planning, budgeting and forecasting||20||22|
|4. Project management||13||13|
|5. Performance management||21||23|
|6. Tools for creating and managing value||17||17|
For further information, see the subject outline below.