Speakers: Eric Patterson (US), Senior Program Manager, Microsoft and Dany Hoter (Israel), Senior Program Manager, Microsoft
Grandma was right, a stitch in time saves nine. Our MVP will show you how spending just a few minutes extra with your data before producing the chart will save you hours of chart agony later on. You will also learn which chart types work best with certain types of data, and how best to format them to make your message clear and simple.
Speaker: Jon Peltier MVP
Power Pivot can help you master multiple data sources to reveal the hidden gems. You’ll find out how to link multiple tables with no VLOOKUPS and then serve all Tables into a single pivot, custom PivotTable formulas that actually work, disconnected table tricks and more. It’s time to dominate your data!
Speakers: Liam Bastick MVP and Ken Puls MVP
Charts are the core of dashboards and reports, and often require user choices and inputs. In this eye-opening hour you’ll discover different techniques to make charts dynamic, including:
The best thing? No VBA code required.
Speaker: Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP
The secret to creating high-quality low-risk free spreadsheets is simple:
• a structured process centred on building right first-time
• excellent consistent design principles
• a good understanding of bad practices
You will learn practical steps on how to avoid errors by applying PwC’s tried and tested model-build methodology and their 15 design best practices, and by avoiding the Axis of Spreadsheet Evil.
Filters come in all shapes and sizes. This session will look at the use of Filters in manipulating data for other purposes, including:
• the benefits and limitations of the original AutoFilter and using Data Filtering within Tables today
• the addition of Filters everywhere via the right click
• extra facilities added by filtering on like values, colour, cell colour, icon, etc.
• Advanced Filter and its many uses in extracting data for further analysis, and its importance in understanding Power Pivot
Speaker: Roger Govier MVP
This one’s all about how to win friends and influence people! Our MVPs will show you how to build forecasts that operations managers will buy into, such as very simple regression analysis, including:
• presenting easy-to-understand regression analysis charts
• measuring your variances to see if you’re getting better
• standard deviation charts
• run charts
• fan charts
• new built-in forecasting capability
Speakers: Liam Bastick MVP and Jon Peltier MVP
Pivot Tables offer a powerful tool to analyse data, from high-level trends to detailed drill-down to thorough insights. If you’ve found them daunting, this step-by-step walk-through, jam-packed with practical advice and real-life scenarios, will have you feeling confident in no time.
Speakers: Roger Govier MVP and Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP
No more working through the lunch break and late nights at the office.
Power Query helps you import, transform and automate your data processes. In other words, it’ll save you a tonne of time.
Among others, you’ll learn to:
• automate your mundane file clean up tasks
• source data from the web
• unpivot data in a few clicks
• join tables in several ways (with no VLOOKUPS)
Speakers: Ken Puls MVP and Mynda Treacy MVP
Fast, fun, informative. Learn the pros’ favourite tips and tricks for quickly and easily creating charts that tell a clear story.
Speakers: Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP, Jon Peltier MVP and Mynda Treacy MVP
This is your chance to pose your most pressing problems to the ultimate expert in Excel. That aggravating issue with your otherwise perfect Pivot Table, the mysterious muddle in your model, or even the feature you’d like to see in the next version of Excel. Don’t be shy, drill the developer!
Speakers: Dany Hoter (Israel), Senior Program Manager, Microsoft
Speaker: Dany Hoter (Israel), Senior Program Manager, Microsoft
How can you best capture your audience’s attention? Create a compelling dashboard that delivers the key points in a single page, with a single glance. Using no additional software or add-ins, just plain Excel, Mynda Treacy MVP will demonstrate how to build interactive Excel dashboards that can be updated in less than a minute.
Speaker: Mynda Treacy MVP
Do you know what to include in a model template? It’s time to find out. Learn about:
• constructing the page template/s
• setting up time series
• absolute versus relative referencing (yes, seriously!)
• the importance of checks – and the three types you need
• setting up a table of contents in 60 seconds
• formats versus styles
Speaker: Liam Bastick MVP
Is your spreadsheet bigger than Ben-Hur and even more complex to manage? Roger and Jon will help you regain control via the following:
• data validation
• ways of preventing changes upstream in dependent scenarios
• sheet protection pros and cons
• prevention of row and column insertion
• simple VBA event code to provide greater validation
• simple VBA code to allow expansion of tables on protected sheets
Speakers: Roger Govier MVP and Jon Peltier MVP
Out, damned errors, out we say! Spreadsheets are probably the world's most successful end-user programming language, widely used in industry. 95 per cent of all US companies use them for their financial reporting. Significant business decisions are often based on information coming from spreadsheets. But we also know that they are error-prone. Should we abandon them? What is causing the errors? Can we fix that? An update on the current state of affairs in spreadsheet research.
Speaker: Bas Jansen, Information Specialist, Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands)
Slicers are filters on steroids. They work to visually filter data by clicking on the type of data you want.
In under an hour you’ll learn how to:
• seamlessly integrate slicers into reports and dashboards
• configure slicers to work with multiple pivot tables
• style slicers to complement stunning visuals
• capture slicer selections in formulas
• write simple VBA code to help automate them
Speakers: Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP and Mynda Treacy MVP
It’s time to step outside Excel for powerful data modelling and visualisation. Power BI is an amazing business analytics tool that enables you to create interactive reports and share them with others. Together with Ken Puls MVP, you’ll explore the free Power BI desktop, including how Quick Insights will get you off the ground running and how to dashboard your KPIs.
Speaker: Ken Puls MVP
This session will look at best practices in What-If Analysis in Excel, including:
• the difference between scenario and sensitivity analyses
• why Scenario Manager is useless and why OFFSET with Data Tables is better
• presenting different scenarios in a summary dashboard
• sensitivity analysis with data tables
• creating cool tornado charts
VBA is Excel’s programming language, and it’s easier than you think. Learn what it can do and why you should use it, including:
• an introduction to the VB editor
• a simple automation
• invoking code with a button
• using event code to trigger code automatically
• writing code once and using it repeatedly
• the importance of Application settings for speed improvement
• employing arrays to reduce inefficiency
Speakers: Roger Govier MVP
Go beyond data bars and icon sets. In this session you’ll learn how to create amazing user experience with conditional formatting formulas, relative references and pixie dust. Just BYOP (Bring Your Own Pixie Dust).
Speakers: Jon Peltier MVP and Mynda Treacy MVP
Don’t bury reports deep in your company’s system – they can be shared, viewed and manipulated on the go. With the MVPs as your guides, you’ll discover how to:
• create and optimise reports for mobile devices
• view BI reports and dashboards on mobile devices
• link company data with cloud reporting
• share reports with both internal and external users
• set up alerts for targets and KPIs
Speakers: Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP and Ken Puls MVP
Fast, fun, informative. Learn the pros’ favourite tips and tricks to unlock the power of Excel, increase productivity and save time.
Speakers: Liam Bastick MVP, Roger Govier MVP and Ken Puls MVP
For the past two days they’ve amazed and astounded you, engaged and entertained you, educated and extended you. Now the MVPs are ready and waiting to answer all your Excel-related questions. Six MVPs and you – it’s an opportunity not to be missed.
Speakers: Liam Bastick MVP, Roger Govier MVP, Ingeborg Hawighorst MVP, Jon Peltier MVP, Ken Puls MVP and Mynda Treacy MVP
Copyright 1997-2017 CPA Australia Ltd