Financial planning ADVICE

Tools, templates and resources to help you in your profession

Become a financial adviser

Financial planning advice is a highly regulated industry, particularly when it comes to providing financial advice to the public. Before you can provide advice that could influence a client's decision to purchase a financial product you must meet minimum training standards and hold an Australian Financial Services (AFS) licence, or be authorised as a representative of an AFS.

Recognised accountants can’t recommend the establishment or winding up of a self-managed superannuation fund unless they are appropriately licensed. Explore your licensing options.

Holding a limited AFS licence is one of your options when it comes to providing financial advice. Find out about the latest educational requirements and the tailored resources available to you.
Find out about your options and requirements on becoming a tax (financial) adviser and learn about renewing your tax (financial) adviser registration.

The CPA Australia Financial Planning Specialisation (FPS) builds on your expertise and specifically recognises members who specialise in financial planning advice.

A professional standards regime for financial advisers will commence from 1 January 2019.

Explore useful financial advice resources, including guidance notes, tax and superannuation guides, tips, calculators and apps.

Guidance to help you understand responsible lending obligations, becoming licensed, what a regulated credit activity is and what requires licensing.
APES 230 Financial Planning Services sets out mandatory requirements and guidance for members engaged in the provision of financial planning advice.