Members in New Zealand may study a local taxation subject offered by Massey University, and receive recognition of that study in the CPA Program.
CPA Australia and Massey University have a long-standing relationship that ensures they are expertly placed to deliver this local taxation solution for members in New Zealand.
The subject content will undergo regular review to ensure it meets CPA Australia’s stringent expectations.
WHEN TO CHOOSE NEW ZEALAND TAXATION
If you have not satisfied CPA Australia’s tax competency requirement, you are advised in My CPA Program to complete taxation study – namely Australia Taxation – as a requirement to become a CPA.
However, if you’re based in New Zealand and intend to pursue a career in New Zealand, it may be more appropriate to complete local taxation study with Massey University.
WHAT TO EXPECT
To complete this study with Massey University, you will be required to:
- Contact CPA Australia to obtain a letter, which you would then submit to Massey University
- Enrol with Massey University
- Follow instructions provided by the university, study using the resources provided, and sit an exam with the university
- When you successfully complete the subject and receive an official statement of your exam result, submit this to CPA Australia for recognition as an elective unit of study in the CPA Program
Note, the taxation subject with Massey University is only available in Semester 1 each year. Visit Massey University for more information.
HOW TO APPLY FOR RECOGNITION
- Log in to our website using your member ID or email address, along with your website password
- Within 'My Membership', select 'Apply for update'
- Select 'Start Application' and move to 'Education', where you can search for and add the unit of study you completed with Massey University
- Move to 'Documents' and upload your statement of results as a supporting document
Once approved, when you log into My CPA Program you’ll see that you have received an elective exemption.
You’ll then only be required to complete one elective, in addition to the compulsory subjects, to satisfy the requirements of the CPA Program.