Members in Hong Kong may study a local taxation subject offered by The Open University of Hong Kong (ACY B804F Advanced Taxation) and receive recognition of study in the CPA Program.

CPA Australia and The Open University of Hong Kong have a long-standing relationship that ensures they are expertly placed to deliver this local taxation solution for members in Hong Kong.

The subject content will undergo regular review to ensure it meets CPA Australia’s stringent expectations.


If you have not satisfied CPA Australia’s tax competency requirement, you are advised in My CPA Program to complete taxation study – namely Australia Taxation – as a requirement to become a CPA.

However, if you’re based in Hong Kong and intend to pursue a career in Hong Kong, it may be more appropriate to complete local taxation study with The Open University of Hong Kong.


To complete this study with The Open University of Hong Kong, you will be required to:

  1. Contact CPA Australia to obtain a letter, which you would then submit to The Open University of Hong Kong
  2. Enrol with The Open University of Hong Kong
  3. Follow instructions provided by the university, study using the resources provided, and sit an exam with the university
  4. When you successfully complete the subject and receive an official statement of your exam result, submit this to CPA Australia for recognition as an elective unit of study in the CPA Program

Note, the taxation subject with The Open University of Hong Kong is available to both Master of Accountancy students and single-course enrolments. Visit The Open University of Hong Kong for more information.  


  1. Log in to our website using your member ID or email address, along with your website password
  2. Within 'My Membership', select 'Apply for update'
  3. Select 'Start Application' and move to 'Education', where you can search for and add the unit of study you completed with The Open University of Hong Kong
  4. Move to 'Documents' and upload a colour scan of your statement of results as a supporting document

Once approved, when you log into My CPA Program you’ll see that you have received an elective exemption.

You’ll then only be required to complete one elective, in addition to the compulsory subjects, to satisfy the requirements of the CPA Program.