We’re making some important changes to our CPA Program Advanced Taxation subject from Semester 2 2018.
The new Advanced Taxation subject will be offered with an uplift in content and learning outcomes so that it’s in line with postgraduate studies and will contribute to your taxation requirements for registration as a Registered Tax Adviser with the Tax Practitioner’s Board.
If you intend to complete the new Advanced Taxation subject from Semester 2 2018, we recommend that you have completed undergraduate taxation study prior to enrolling in Advanced Taxation.
The content of the Advanced Taxation subject will be enriched so that completion of this subject meets the advanced taxation requirement of the Tax Practitioners Board for registration as a Registered Taxation Agent in Australia.
It is recommended that candidates enrolling in this subject have previously completed undergraduate studies in taxation. The content of Advanced Taxation will be at a postgraduate level which assumes prior knowledge of taxation.
Candidates who wish to become a CPA and do not have studies in taxation, may choose to:
- enrol in the Advanced Taxation subject, in the CPA Program, with the understanding that their lack of prior knowledge may be an impediment to success
- enrol in the CPA Australia Introductory Taxation subject (available from late 2018), outside the CPA Program
- enrol in an undergraduate taxation subject at a higher education provider of their choice.
If you wish to pursue a career as a Registered Tax Agent, explore the full criteria.
Important – how the changes affect you
If you are required to complete the Advanced Taxation subject in the CPA Program, but have not have not yet completed it:
- You may complete the existing Advanced Taxation subject by the end of Semester 1 2018. Completion of the existing Advanced Taxation subject will satisfy the taxation requirements of the CPA Program.
- You may choose to undertake the new Advanced Taxation from Semester 2 2018, with the understanding that the content and the learning outcomes have been significantly changed and without prior studies in undergraduate taxation you may be disadvantaged. It is recommended if you do not have undergraduate taxation and wish to prepare yourself for Advanced Taxation you may choose to:
- enrol in the CPA Australia Introductory Taxation subject (available from Semester 2 2018) outside the CPA Program, or
- enrol in an undergraduate Taxation subject at a higher education provider of your choice.
Be mindful of your CPA Program completion deadline when making a decision appropriate for your circumstances.