In June 2012, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) and CPA Australia renewed the mutual recognition agreement (MRA) for a further five years. The purpose of the MRA is to further develop the relationship between the two bodies and establish guidelines on how qualified members can gain reciprocal membership.
How to become a member
The following steps show how a CIPFA qualified member can become a CPA member of CPA Australia under the conditions of the MRA.
Step 1: Determine your eligibility
If you are a full member of CIPFA, you may be eligible for CPA Australia membership if:
- you have a degree, higher education award or professional qualification recognised by CPA Australia in addition to your CIPFA qualification
- you have successfully completed:
- the CIPFA Professional Qualification Strategic Stage
- three years' relevant work experience recognised by CPA Australia
- you are a member of good standing and not under any investigation for professional conduct infringements
- you did not gain entry to membership through another MRA
Step 2: Complete your application
Complete the application form (PDF) and submit it with the following:
- application fee and membership fee
- certified true copies of 100 points of identification (see application form for points values)
- an original or certified true copy of a letter of good standing from CIPFA that contains:
- the date you joined CIPFA
- the date you achieved your current member status
- the date your membership fees are paid to
- confirmation you have completed the practical experience requirements
- confirmation you are not currently under any disciplinary sanctions or investigations and have not been subject to any disciplinary sanctions in the past five years
- confirmation that you are not a member of CIPFA through another MRA
- certified true copy of an official transcript from CIPFA
- certified true copies of university academic awards and transcripts
- certified true copies of change of name documentation (if applicable)
Step 3: Submit your application
Send your application with certified true copies of your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to:
GPO Box 2820
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
Alternatively, you can mail your application to your nearest CPA Australia office.
Step 4: Processing your application
Your application will take approximately 10 to 15 working days to process. We will send you an email advising you of your assessment outcome.
If there are any queries about your application, we will contact you.