Migration assessment

Go to secondary navigation
Migration assessment

CPA Australia is pleased to confirm that from Saturday 1 November we will accept the PTE Academic and TOEFL iBT English tests in addition to IELTS for the purpose of meeting the English proficiency requirement of the skills assessments. Read our criteria and requirements details on the required scores for general and 485 purposes.

What is a migration skills assessment and why do I need one?

For certain skilled migration visas you will need to provide evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority. 

CPA Australia can assess your overseas or Australian education, English proficiency and, in some cases, your work history, to determine if you meet a set of predetermined criteria required for your chosen occupation.

As well as a full skills assessment that can be used for General Skilled (points tested) Migration, CPA Australia also issues a provisional (subclass 485) skills assessment for recent graduates of Australian education institutions.  We also provide skilled employment assessments. 

What is a provisional assessment?

The temporary visa (subclass 485) skills assessment, also known as a "provisional assessment", is for recent graduates of Australian educational institutions that are applying for a subclass 485 visa.

The requirements for the provisional assessment are similar to those of the general migration assessment. However, there are some differences, which include scores that are accepted for meeting the English proficiency requirement.


CPA Australia can assess your qualifications and skills for the following occupations:

  • accountant (general) (ANZSCO code 221111)
  • corporate treasurer (ANZSCO code 221212)
  • external auditor (ANZSCO code 221213)
  • finance manager (ANZSCO code 132211)
  • management accountant (ANZSCO code 221112) 
  • taxation accountant (ANZSCO code 221113)

Applying for an assessment

Use one of the following to apply for an assessment.

Note: If you are planning to lodge your expression of interest (EOI) with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), make sure you wait until you have received your migration assessment outcome from CPA Australia first.